Tuesday 19 May 2009

The Final Countdown


It was important to start preparing the gallery space for my show rather than just concentrating purely on knitting, I didn't want to end up with a mountain of wool with a completely wrong environment of which to hang it in.

I entered the space two weeks before my opening and began by preparing the walls with a yellow matt emulsion paint. The walls needed two coats each to be a suitable enough backdrop colour for the wool I was going to hang in front. 
I wanted a colour that would not entirely blend and vanish within the wool but instead a couple of shades lighter than the wool so that it would shine through any holes and create a sense of  greater depth within the wool.

The floors were painted with a matt emulsion floor paint the same colour as the walls and all woodwork with a matching gloss paint. 
I did also want to paint the ceiling but unfortunately the material was not suitable be painted and I did not have the funds to suit my other solutions. 
I was however quite pleased that I didn't end up painting the ceiling as it opened up and altered the perception of the space. This is one of these "happy accidents" I learnt so much about at university.





No comments:

Post a Comment