Tuesday 24 February 2009

In The Beginning


My fascination with wool began in 3rd year of art school. I had just learned to knit hats and after exhausting this new found talent I found myself becoming obsessed with wool as a medium. I began introducing wool as an element to my paintings and found as a medium it was not only aesthetically very pleasing but it also collaborated surprisingly well with my more traditional painting skills. 

The more I used wool the more I wanted to push it's limitations as a medium. 
I learned how use a manual knitting machine which produced much larger quantities of wool in a much less time consuming manner than that of hand knitting. This in turn meant that I could use wool in a much larger scale which opened up even more possibilities in utilising it within contemporary painting. 

After using it successfully confined within the parameters of my canvases I naturally progressed in to a larger scale and this is when I decided I wanted to saturate an entire space with wool, covering as much space as possible.

After gratefully receiving a grant towards my project from GAVAA I secured an exhibition space, purchased my very own Brother KH230 knitting machine and ordered  500 balls of wool and began production. Knowing my own artistic temperament I set myself the deadline of two months to knit, prepare and exhibit my installation "Dropstitched".






No comments:

Post a Comment