Tuesday 24 February 2009

Knitting



Before starting to knit it was important that I set up my machine in a suitable work location.
Ideally I would have set up my machine on a table that was as wide as my machine and a meter or so high so that my knitting had more room to hang. 
Unfortunately I was in no financial state to fulfil these requirements so instead made do with my home coffee table which is the ideal width for my machine and still at a reasonable height that I can knit comfortably whilst sitting on a stool. 
I had a lot of hours of knitting ahead of me so it was important that I took comfort in to consideration.

After setting up my machine I made sure I had enough room to manoeuvre and, more importantly, a TV and stereo close by so that I could keep entertained with films and music while I worked.

I began knitting just over a month ago now and the closer I get to my deadline the more I'm producing per night. 
I have always been one of those people who works better under pressure and knowing this pushes me to work harder the closer my exhibition opening looms.

On average it takes roughly an hour to produce a 2 meter sheet of knit. 
Sometimes a sheet takes longer depending on how much errors occur during the knitting, most of which could be avoided with the help of a comb. 

Although I'm using a machine, knitting is still incredibly tiring work. 
The more I knit the stronger my arm becomes and less painful each night. However due to the amount I am knitting and for long periods of time, blisters have started to appear on my hands and my back is bent over for hours at a time due to the low height of my table. 

Who would have thought knitting could be so hardcore?

No comments:

Post a Comment